Thursday 1 July –
Be confident this calving season with all you need to know about raising healthy calves.
This workshop will leave attendees with not only knowledge but tools and resources that they can action. Attendees will receive a SealesWinslow workbook and a bag of Calf Max 20% Pellets.
Who should come to this event: All farmers that have an invested interest in raising healthy calves.
Topics that will be covered at the workshop include:
- Calf Housing and Pen Design
- Demonstrate a setup of a calf shed. Including the importance of ventilation and bedding.
- Getting to Grips with Colostrum
- How colostrum helps to minimize the risk of neonatal disease
- Why colostrum management is important (changes in quality over time, effect of microbial contamination; assessing quality; options for improving quality)
- Feeding calves for lifetime productivity: How improving neonatal calf nutrition can improve profitability
- The impact of early life nutrition on lifetime productivity,
- Understanding your options: milk or milk replacer; skim milk powder or whey?
- Feeding and Meal
- Calf energy and protein requirements, and how to transition from milk to meal and meal to grass.
- Achieving liveweight gains for heifers
- Calculation of food to achieve liveweight targets, key target times and measuring options
Brought to you by SealesWinslow.
Proud supporters of Dairy Tomorrow.
This workshop helps to:
– be world leading in on-farm animal care
– build great workplaces for New Zealand’s most talented workforce
- 9.30am Registration
- 10.00am Start
- 2.30pm Finish
Venue: Cafe Mes Amis
Orari Station Road, Orari, Canterbury, New Zealand