Friday 9 July –
Be confident this calving season with all you need to know about raising healthy calves.
This workshop will leave attendees with not only knowledge but tools and resources that they can action. Attendees will receive a SealesWinslow workbook and a bag of Calf Max 20% Pellets.
Who should come to this event: All farmers that have an invested interest in raising healthy calves.
The day includes:
On farm visits will cover presentations from farmers about:
- Ad-lib feeding system: Jess Moore
- Once-a-day feeding: Lauren Badcock
SealesWinslow and AgriVantage will discuss:
- Calf Housing and Pen Design
- Demonstrate a setup of a calf shed. Including the importance of ventilation and bedding.
- Getting to Grips with Colostrum
- How colostrum helps to minimize the risk of neonatal disease
- Why colostrum management is important (changes in quality over time, effect of microbial contamination; assessing quality; options for improving quality)
- Feeding calves for lifetime productivity: How improving neonatal calf nutrition can improve profitability
- The impact of early life nutrition on lifetime productivity,
- Understanding your options: milk or milk replacer; skim milk powder or whey?
- Feeding and Meal
- Calf energy and protein requirements, and how to transition from milk to meal and meal to grass.
Hukanui Rural Transport will speak about calf pickup requirements
Brought to you by SealesWinslow and AgriVantage.
Proud supporters of Dairy Tomorrow. This workshop helps to:
– be world leading in on-farm animal care
– build great workplaces for New Zealand’s most talented workforce
This is an on farm event and we will be moving between two farms. Please dress appropriately for the weather.
- 9.30am Registration
- 10.00am Start
- 2.00pm Finish
Venue: Moore Milk Farm
63 Howe Road, Supply Number 33471, Gore, Southland, New Zealand