Wednesday 23 November – LIVE WEBINAR
“You’re starting to think about succession. Who to talk to before you make a plan”.
Join Jude Wilson and Brian Carter from Hamertons Lawyers Ltd as they discuss:
- Selling/transferring shares in your farming company to one or more children
- A sale of the farm to one or more children (or an entity under their control) with a loan back for all or part of the purchase price
- Leasing to one or more children with a right of first refusal to purchase
- Distribution from a trust if the farm is held in a trust
- Disposition by will
- Subdividing to provide a part of the farm for each child (if that’s possible)
- Selling the farm on the open market
All of these options will come with an overlay of:
- The potential advantages and disadvantages/pitfalls of each option
- How will you provide for your other children if only one or some will take a share of the farm?
- What supplementary documentation might be needed
- The cost of implementing the succession plan – legal and accounting fees, tax…
- What if you want to keep living on the farm but not own/farm?
Meet the presenters:
For the past three decades, Jude Wilson has made the Eastern Bay of Plenty her home, choosing Whakatāne to raise her family and build a rewarding career in law.
After working in banking, retail and primary school teaching, Jude joined Hamertons in 2004 and soon realised that the law is where her heart lies. With four years as a legal executive working in property law, she took the big step of enrolling for a law degree, graduating in 2011. On her return to Hamertons, Jude started as a junior solicitor and is now a director of the firm.
A family man at heart, Brian Carter is a born and bred Whakatāne local and a legal professional with decades of experience under his belt.
Brian is the go-to expert for all aspects of Rural and Commercial Property Law. He offers encyclopaedic knowledge of matters regarding Trusts, Wills and Estates, and Residential Property and Bank Lending.